A solicitor’s in Cheltenham were subject to a PBX hack on their telephone system which resulted in a financial loss of £376. Hackers accessed the system and made calls to a premium rate Japanese telephone number.
In Order to prevent you becoming the next victim:
- Use strong pin/passwords for your voicemail system, ensuring they are changed regularly
- If you still have your voicemail on a default pin/ password change it immediately.
- Disable access to your voice mail system from outside lines. If this is business critical, ensure the access is restricted to essential users and they regularly update their pin/ passwords.If you do not need to call international/ premium rate numbers, ask your network provider to place a restriction on your line.
- Consider asking your network provider to block outbound calls at certain times eg when your business is closed.
- Ensure you regularly review available call logging and call reporting options.
- Regularly monitor for increased or suspect call traffic.
- Secure your exchange and communications system, use a strong PBX firewall and if you don’t need the function, close it down!
- Speak to your maintenance provider to understand the threats and ask them to correct any identified security defects